I haven't blogged in awhile so I thought I'd update everyone on what I've been doing. I recently was given an old ladder back chair and decided to paint it and change the seat. It was sitting outside and the seat was made from an old woven straw like material which basically fell apart in the rain, etc.
So far I've painted in flat black and an now working on redoing the seat. I cut a "ton" of 1" strips of material about 30" long and grouped them in sets of 9 strips. I knotted one end of each group and then braided them. I then started one one side of the chair and worked from side to side.
I'm now working back to front and just weaving in the braided strips. I'm using left over cotton fabric I had lying around so it didn't cost anything. Here is a pic of what it looks like so far.